Search

Ubuntu 10.04 no login prompt

Problem: Ubuntu 10.04 boots till the login music comes but after that the login prompt does not appear.

The solutions found online for similar problems are

reconfiguring gdm
Uninstall and reinstall GDM
run fsck on the filesystem.

But none of them solved my problem .

After going through all the possible logs in the system, found a possible pointer to the problem, zlib-1.2.5
I had installed  zlib-1.2.5 from source as it was required for the qemu.
After uninstalling zlib and rebooting the system, every thing was back to normal :-). Here are the steps to be followed. 

 Once the system booted to the first screen with no login prompt

1. Hit cntrl+alt+f1 to go to the text mode login. 
2. login in the text mode with your credentials
3. change directory to where the zlib source is located
4. run the command "sudo make uninstall"
5. now reboot using "sudo reboot"

Your login prompt back, have fun :-) 

Note: This solution might or might not work for you as it depends on what caused your problem


11 comments:

  1. Hot damn!!! Like a BOSS!!! TYTYTYTYTY .. I dinnae want to go thru another painful reinstall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I ran into this situation exactly, and removing zlib 1.2.5 fixed it. BIG THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. this is fantastic. I spent several hours until I found this place. Ubuntu should enhance and protect the incompatible package to be installed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. expert! This really helped me to recover my ubuntu after 2 weeks can't use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. got the same problem with zlib-1.2.7 and your solution solved my problem, (and gave a happy ending to a not so happy day). Any ideas where it comes from, though?

    Python packaging via
    python setup.py sdist
    which I think is pretty much the standard way to package gives an error message "tarfile.CompressionError: zlib module is not available". Sure enough archive manager cannot open the resulting compressed file, which makes installing zlib seem like such a good idea when creating a python package...at first. So it might be good if that issue could be solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember reading some where that this is solved in higher versions of zlib... have not tried though.

      Delete
  6. This really helped (I had problem with zlib-1.2.7), thanks :)

    ReplyDelete